May is Women’s Health Month. Stress is all around us. Whether we are at work or at home, here are some easy ways to keep the stress away!
Here are 5 tips to keep stress away:
- Essential Oils*. I love essential oils. Regardless of the way you use essential oils; diffuser, room spray or a scent you wear on your skin, they can be a big help when you are feeling anxious. Essential oils can send messages to the body’s nervous system, which is why certain oils can be calming. Some of my favorite oils to help relax are:
- Lavender is well-known for its ability to sooth the body and mind. Plus, it smells amazing. I use it in everything from body lotion to a home fragrance.
- Clary Sage has been known to support healthy levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Reducing cortisol levels helps keep us feeling our best!
- Lemon Balm smells amazing and it may help to lift our spirits. It makes a great addition to any stress busting regimen.
- Jasmine flows through the air during the spring in many parts of the country. It brings to mind gorgeous sunny days. As an essential oil it may help reduce stress without making us tired or sleepy!
*With any essential oil, use as directed. Never put a pure essential oil directly on the skin.
- Exercise. What doesn’t exercise do? It helps our health in so many ways, including reducing stress! Any type of exercise may have a positive effect on stress levels. Improving mood is just one benefit; exercise also helps to reduce depression. Physical activity increases endorphins, which are neurotransmitters that help to create these feelings of wellbeing. Everything from a walk in the park to a brisk run or a yoga class will increase your peace and calm!
- Meditation. I am a big believer in the benefits of meditation! It’s a great way to calm the mind and body. It’s the way I start my day. If you are a beginner, check out some meditation apps. Guided meditation is the best way to begin and gain clarity and focus. It may take some time but you will feel the benefits not only to your stress levels, but also with additional creative energy!
- Nutritional Supplements. Supplements are an excellent way to support a healthy body and fight some of the negative effects of stress.
- Stress can wreak havoc on our immune system. This leaves us open to the possibility of more frequently catching a virus or other illness. Sambucol Black Elderberry helps to support a healthy immune system so even on my most hectic days; I am giving my body the immune support it needs.
- Magnesium supplements may help to reduce stress because it helps support the body’s response to stress. It’s a wonderful way to relax and may also support healthy sleep.
- L-theanine is an amino acid that is found in tea. As a supplement it has been shown to help support increased relaxation and it may even help to lower our resting heart rate.
- Elderberries are Mother Nature’s way to naturally boost our immune system. I use Sambucol Black Elderberry to get the antioxidant benefits of Black Elderberries every day!
- Stress Reducing Foods. What we eat plays a huge role in how we feel. That includes how we handle stress and anxiety. Eating a healthy diet is crucial and some foods are especially beneficial in supporting our minds as well as our bodies.
- Avocados are rich in healthy fats including Omega 3’s which have been shown to support healthy stress levels. In addition, they contain B-vitamins which are another one of nature’s stress fighters! Grab some guacamole or a few slices on top of a veggie burger and help your anxiety levels at the same time!
- Leafy greens such as kale are high in fiber. A recent study found that high-fiber diets may help reduce anxiety and depression. As an added benefit, fiber makes us feel full so we can munch away and curb those hunger pangs!
- Bananas are an incredible source of tryptophan which is converted into serotonin. Serotonin helps us feel happier and more relaxed and calm. They are a great snack or addition to smoothies, parfaits, cereals and more!
- Chocolate is my favorite way to feel better! Of course, I always eat it dark and sugar free to get the greatest benefit and the least calories! It’s been widely known that chocolate helps promote a better mood and makes us feel more content! All we need is one, once a day, so be careful not to overdo it!
When anxiety rears its ugly head, try these tips to start feeling better. Remember, it takes time to create new habits, but stay on track and it will be worth it! Happy Women’s Health Month!
Michelle Harris is the host of Alive & Well with Michelle Harris, a national TV series promoting the wellness lifestyle. Michelle is one of the media’s leading lifestyle experts and is a frequent guest on TV shows, radio shows, magazine interviews, red carpets and live events. Michelle is also the co-founder of Animal Angels, a non-profit advocacy group where celebrities promote pet health and adoptions.
Follow Michelle on FB @aliveandwelltv and on IG @michelleharris_tv