March is Nutrition Month which is a great time to give our diet an added boost! My favorite way to do that is as easy as a trip to the local farmers market for a wide array of colorful fruits and vegetables.
Studies have shown that diets rich in fruits and vegetables can reduce your risk of cancer, help lower blood pressure, keep blood sugar stable and help support a healthy body mass, support a healthy immune system and more! The benefits are incredible! The best part is that it’s easy and tastes great!
Eating the rainbow adds variety to your diet and is very simple to do! Some of my favorite fruits and vegetables are:
- Kale has been a crowd pleaser for a while. I never get tired of it. My favorite is the Lacinato or flat leaf kale. It is a bit more tender and not quite as bitter as curly kale. It’s also loaded with fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C and vitamin K.
- Pineapple is a digestive superstar! It’s a yummy sweet treat but also contains digestive enzymes called bromelain. These enzymes help food to be broken down and more easily absorbed. Pineapple is delicious raw, as well as when used in smoothies and juices!
- They are a regular staple in my diet and my absolute favorite condiment! Great on tacos, sandwiches, salad and even as desserts, they are versatile and buttery! Avocados contain heart healthy fats and these same fats help keep skin moist and looking great!
- I love carrot sticks with hummus, glazed carrots, roasted carrots and more. Plus, they contain vitamin A, vitamin C and beta-carotene which helps promote eye health.
- Black Elderberries. Black Elderberries are rich in anti-oxidants called anthocyanins and black elderberries contain the highest amount of any fruit! This helps to support a healthy immune system which is why I love Sambucol Black Elderberry products. They are the original black elderberry products; they taste incredible and help keep me feeling my best!
Don’t forget the more color in your diet the better to get the nutrition your body needs to look and feel your best!
Michelle Harris is the host of Alive & Well with Michelle Harris, a national TV series promoting the wellness lifestyle. Michelle is one of the media’s leading lifestyle experts and is a frequent guest on TV shows, radio shows, magazine interviews, red carpets and live events. Michelle is also the co-founder of Animal Angels, a non-profit advocacy group where celebrities promote pet health and adoptions.
Post written by Michelle Harris.