Layers of grapefruit rosemary curd, Sambucol Black Elderberry Advanced Immune Syrup and Meringue bring a bright, refreshing flavor to your holiday table.
Recipe by Tara Snyder (@bearnecessities___)
For the curd:
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup + 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of grapefruit juice
- ½ cup of butter softened at room temperature
- 1 ½ tablespoon of lemon zest
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
For the Meringue
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 8 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Sambucol Black Elderberry Advanced Immune Syrup for drizzling
- Fill a double boiler with water with about an inch of room between the water and the top pan. If you don’t have a double boiler you can use a heat-safe glass bowl that fits into a saucepan. Once the water starts to boil add the egg yolks, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, rosemary sprigs, and maple syrup. Whisk well.
- Once everything is mixed well, add in the butter. Cook over low heat whisking constantly to prevent the mixture from curdling. If it’s taking a while to thicken the curd, you can turn the heat up a little bit. Once the mixture thickens up quite a bit and creates a ribbon in the curd when you run the whisk through it, the curd is ready.
- Once curd is ready, whisk in vanilla extract. Remove the rosemary sprigs. Remove from heat and store in a jar. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap so the plastic is directly on the curd. This will prevent a layer from forming over the curd. Allow the mixture to chill before serving.
Make the meringue.
- Add the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment mix until foamy. Slowly add in one tablespoon of sugar at time until the mixture forms a peak. When you remove the whisk the meringue will stand straight up and curl slightly at the end. Mix in the vanilla.
- Using 4 small dessert cups scoop in curd. Drizzle with Sambucol Advanced Immune Syrup. Top with Meringue and toast the meringue. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with fresh rosemary