Looking for the best gingerbread recipe for the holidays? Look no further than this delicious homemade gingerbread. Made with Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup, this elevated take on a holiday classic offers immune support benefits* on top of all the yummy gingery goodness.
Recipe by Hannah Kaminsky
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Brewed and Cooled Coffee
- 3/4 Cup Molasses
- 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/2 Cups Light Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan; Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Whisk well to distribute all the dry goods throughout and double-check that there are no clumps.
- Separately, mix the coffee, molasses, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and oil until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and stir with a wide spatula to bring the two together. Being careful not to over-mix, stir just until the batter is smooth and not a second longer. Transfer the batter into your prepared baking pan, smooth out the top, and pop it in the oven.
- Bake for 75 - 85 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean- Perhaps with a few moist crumbs sticking to it but certainly not wet. Let cool completely before turning out of the pan.
- Drizzle with the Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup , slice, and serve.
Yield: 8 - 12 Servings
If time allows, this cake does get better with age, so try to make it a day or two in advance for the flavor profile to become more nuanced and balanced. For long term storage, the finished cake can be frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tags: Recipes