Nostalgia with a twist! Make your own tootsie chews at home with the added benefit of immune support with Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup.* They’re easy to make and even more delicious to eat! Plus, they look great in a spooky-themed bowl for your next Halloween gathering.
By Hannah Kaminsky
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sambucol Kids Black Elderberry Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Freeze-Dried Blueberry Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease it. Adding this extra layer is like taking out insurance that you’ll be able to get the candy out later, so don’t be tempted to forgo this step.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, Kids Black Elderberry Syrup, coconut oil, and cocoa over moderate heat. Whisk thoroughly to incorporate the cocoa powder and continue whisking gently until the coconut oil melts. Clip on a candy thermometer and stir constantly until the mixture reaches 240 – 245℉, which is right before the “hard crack” stage.
- Turn off the heat, pour in the coconut milk and vanilla, and quickly stir to incorporate. Continue to beat the candy with a sturdy spoon or spatula for about 10 minutes, until it seems to thicken. Pour it into your prepared pan and let sit until completely cool; at least 2 - 3 hours. If your kitchen is warm, you may want to chill it briefly before slicing to make the process easier.
- Slice the candy into thirds lengthwise, and then into ¼-inch strips. Wrap the pieces up in waxed paper and store at room temperature.
Yields 40 – 50 Candies
To make your own blueberry powder, use freeze-dried blueberries and place them in your food processor or spice grinder. Pulse until very finely ground.