Recipe by Hannah Kaminsky
- 2 Cups Apple Cider
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil or Vegan Butter, Melted
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce, at Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Sambucol Kids Black Elderberry Syrup
2 – 4 Tablespoons Sprinkles (Optional)
- Begin by pouring the apple cider into a small saucepan and place on the stove over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and let it cook, watching carefully, until the liquid has reduced to 1/3 cup; about 20 - 30 minutes. If too much evaporates, add enough plain cider to make 1/3 cup total. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 12-cup doughnut pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the melted coconut oil or vegan butter, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and fold gently to combine. Mix just until the batter is homogeneous.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared doughnut pans, filling them about 2/3 of the way. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until evenly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the thickest portion comes out clean. Let rest in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and Kid’s Black Elderberry Syrup. Stir until completely smooth.
- Once the doughnuts are cool, dip each one halfway into the icing and return to the rack. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Enjoy right away or let rest until the icing is set; about 1 hour.
If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can bake these as doughnut “holes” using mini muffin pans instead.